Saturday, December 25, 2004

Happy Birthday Jesus

No article today, only my half-awake ramblings...

First of all, because sarcasm and religion isn't something that people really like, I just want to say that I'm a big fan of Jesus, and don't mean to slight him or Christianity's celebration of his birth in any way...

That's what we're celebrating right? Jesus' birth? That's the reason everyone (except me and Bob) has the day off in our country with no state sponsored religion right? I guess one real big question is this: Why do we celebrate something that happened in the early part of July (or June, I can't remember, like I said I'm only half awake) in the dead of winter?

The answer is our old buddy transmogrification. Merriam-Webster defines transmogrification as a change with grotesque or humorous effect. It's also a word I've heard used to describe the change that occurs over time in a religion that is taking over a weaker (less-prominent) faith.

Back in the day, before the Catholic "church" took over the U.K. (like England not Kentucky) people already had an established religious system. When the Catholics came in and converted the heathens (by threatening their life [see *Spanish Inquisition; just with fewer Jewish people]) they simply allowed the heathens to keep their holiday which celebrated the Winter Solstice, and substituted Mary for the Earth-Mother and put Jesus in there with her.

Is this intended to offend? No, certainly not. Like I said, I'm a big fan of Jesus. For me, the fact that some of our religious celebrations come from other religions is immaterial. We celebrate Christmas for Christ. If you want to decorate a tree or burn a Yule Log, then man pull out the garland and gasoline, just don't forget that whole "birth of the savior" thing.

Oh, almost forgot...
Just to be Politically Correct and like everyone else: Merry Christmachanaukwanzakastice to all and to all good night.

Blonde Statement:
I'm a Scientologist.
Rebuttal:
That's kind of a religion.

Thank you Virgin Mobile. The world owes you greatly for that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home